Monday, April 28, 2008

Apples, Orange & Me


After years of resistance, I finally bought an Apple Mac Mini even though I owned Apple stock long before I ever bought any of the company’s products!

It started with Leslie giving me an ipod. Convenient, sure, but I didn’t have much use for it. I have XM in my car. She can’t live without hers for listening to tunes in the car or in the house.

She’s had a Macbook for as long as I’ve known her. I see her click-clack away at it with glee making websites, recording podcasts, and sitting anywhere in the world that has free wi-fi.

Me, I had my million year old Dell. The thing is so old that it sounds like there’s a hamster running in a wheel inside it. It’s loud, a huge lug sitting under the desk, but after all, it’s been faithful.

After Leslie moved in, she complained for months - close to a year - about the faithful, but decrepit Dell.

“It’s too loud!” she’d exclaim, “Let’s buy something quieter; an Apple!”

I’m French. We don’t succumb to such aggressive orders.

When I started on the road to finding a new job, I spent hours on my Dell. The poor thing froze up more than the mammoths during the ice age. It made the office hotter than hell. And yes, the reverberating noise began to sink into my skull. It just couldn’t do what I needed it to anymore.

So, we bought a Mac mini last week. I’m learning how to use all of the new keyboard commands, the different setups and programs, but so far, so good. It’ll take some time to get used to, but I’m optimistic. I have to admit, I don’t miss the Chewbacca noise gurgling from the Dell.

No comments: